I'm an interaction designer and former developer. I mostly do design now, but I can help out with front-end development when needed. I've created apps for the web and for embedded systems, and those apps often have complex requirements (like diagnostic tools for electrical engineers).
Thesis: Designed a mapping and trip-planning tool for cyclists that describes the experience of a bike trip, in as well as the logistics.
In part 1, affinitized cyclists' accounts of their experiences, to undertand the types of experiences the planner could describe. In part 2, created prototypes and ran a user study, to learn how an experiential trip planner can be useful to cyclists.
Courses: Information visualization, visual design, research methods (qualitative & quantitative), interactivity theory, new media.
UX Designer & Data visualization designer for web app to report on performance and health of solar power systems. Defined personas and scenarios. Created interaction design, visual design, and interactive prototypes. Conducted user research and usability studies.
UX Designer. UX lead for an internal tool to monitor software builds. UX contributor for a cloud-based tool to share business intelligence data. Trained developers on interaction design principles. Supported new product definitions through research. Front-end development.
Teaching assistant for capstone design studio, taken by undergraduate students. Mentored teams in various areas: web applications, tangible systems, art installations, games, etc.
Intern, sustainability group. Developed social media strategy for Facebook outreach. Conducted field research. Background research for a survey.
UX Designer & Software Developer. Worked on oscilloscopes (devices for viewing and analyzing electrical signals).
- Design lead of a cross-functional team of five people
- Created interface designs, prototypes, and requirements documents
- Ensured designs were feasible within business constraints by working with stakeholders (software, hardware, marketing, etc.)
- Conducted user research
- UI language localization
- New mode of capturing and viewing signals (a change to the primary use of an oscilloscope)
- UI describes new behavior in terms users understand
- Display algorithms minimize disruption from the change
- New data capture method required re-thinking all data analysis features
- Ported an existing UI designed for an XGA display (1024 × 768) to a wide QVGA display (480 × 234)
- Changed layouts, graphics, and behaviors
- Worked with graphic designers to alter over 200 assets
- Display and capture of serial bus data (two devices on a circuit transmitting data)
- Measuring industrial power quality
Navigation through large data sets
Research: Usability studies, paper prototyping, interviews, product definition research, surveys, applying academic research to business needs
Soft skills: Leading without formal authority, clear communication (oral and written), building consensus, facilitation, juggling many tasks, supporting Agile development teams.
GIS tools: Quantum GIS, TileMill
Simon Fraser University. M.A., School of Interactive Arts + Technology, specializing in interaction design. GPA: 4.17/4.33. 2009 - 2012.
Washington State University. B.Sc. Computer Science. GPA: 3.42/4.00. 1996 - 2000.
I'm available to start now
May work without restriction in Canada and America.
Quotes from performance reviews:
- “I recommend Evan as a reliable and confident leader and a great team member.”
- “A technical leader in the area of usability and user interface design.”
- “Good communication skills.”
- “Works efficiently, and contributes extra time and energy to translate desire into reality.”
- “I was impressed with the polish, insight, and critical thinking that Evan brought to the project.”
- “Very enthusiastic TA. Very helpful. Always cheerful.”